Saturday, September 8, 2007

Werewolves and Lollipops

I almost listed Kevin James on my "Men I Find Attractive Even Though I Probably Shouldn't" list below. Problem is, I'm not really attracted to him, I just find him totally entertaining and I feel guilty about it. For example I love King of Queens. And I kinda want to see I Now Prounounce You Chuck and Larry. The heart wants what it wants.

So imagine how delighted I was to discover that King of Queens co-star Patton Oswalt is a guilt-free treat. When I watched Magnolia again recently I noted him and nodded in solemn approval. He was an uncredited writer on Borat. He's been on Dr. Katz, Seinfeld, Human Giant, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, I Love the 80's, Crank Yankers, and Reno 911!, among others. I love that he has described himself as a "man without a country" in that he hates both George W. Bush and hippies. (HaHa I just typed George W. Busy. Kinda like Bush meets Run DMC? Somebody just found her Halloween costume!!)

But what I love most is his new standup cd Werewolves and Lollipops. HOLY SHIT. I listened to it on my iPod while trying to run this afternoon and I had to stop and walk because I was doubled-over in out-loud laughter. Walking was also embarrassing because of my insane grin and laughing. People stared.

Get it. Steal it. Buy it on iTunes. Do what you gotta do.


This is a picture that shows up if one Googles "Patton Oswalt Kevin James."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

a failure pile in a sadness bowl! that's a classic bit all the way.

Magdalena said...

I too am willing to come out of the closet and profess my love for King of Queens. So nice to watch after you get home from work.

There's also a documentary of a stand-up tour that Patton Oswalt did that came out a year or so ago. I forget what it's called, but I enjoyed it and Netflix should help with the pesky name details.

Anonymous said...

I saw Patton Oswalt again at Cobb's last Thursday with three other comedians [FN1], and he was outstanding. He told a couple of jokes from W&L, with some variations, but mostly he just played off of the crowd, totally improv. It was amazing.

FN1: Brian Posehn was one of the other guys, and he's even funnier in person than on TV.

Anonymous said...

Me too. A strangely high percentage of the TV I watch is King of Queens. This is because it's often on in Shark and Patsy's room when Patsy is cleaning and Shark is not there to turn it off. There are funny jokes sometimes. Mostly I'm fascinated by Leah Remeni, Quaker State spokeperson and SCIENTOLOGIST. I used to creep myself out by being very attracted to her even though she was a Scientologist. But then she went from hot to totally overweight and unattractive (Patsy may have said something about a baby being involved?). The weird thing is, they make no mention or reference to this on the show. The writing is the same, but the character is no longer the improbably hot wife coupled with the overweight but funny everyman. The writers completely ignore that she's not hot anymore. Normally, I would not focus so much on somebody getting fat other than Britney, but the fact that she is a Scientologist makes me totally evil in my happiness about this turn of events. I just imagine the bigwigs at the top of Scientology freaking out because one of their celebrity poster children is getting worse at something, when Scientology is supposed to continuously improve every aspect of your life. Yes, these are the things I think about while watching mindless sitcoms.