Thursday, September 20, 2007

It was unpleasing.

My friend Kristen ("KC") and I are planning a weekend in Memphis. I live in San Francisco and she lives in Brooklyn and we never see each other so we pictured a few days of bourbon- and blues-fueled fun. But with a classy streak. Like staying on Beale Street in an old Southern inn with breakfast china.

Looks like classy ain't gonna happen. Kristen did some research and it turns out all of Memphis is booked that Saturday night. There are Fall Out Boy and Bill Cosby shows that night, apparently that is too much eyeliner and sweaters for the tourist infrastructure to handle. What follows is an email exchange:

Kristen 2:43 PM: I dunno about you, but when I'm stumbling home with a belly fulla So-Co, I ain't gonna wanna go 20 min into the suburbs, so ... the first thing that came up near the downtown area was ... drumroll.... the MOTEL 6!!! 2 double beds, non-smoking and an elevator! Also, it's like $9.49 a night or some such thing. Also, I went ahead and got us a car - it's also like $4.63 or something because apparently, the whole damn city's on sale! Anyhow, we can totally cancel, and we probably will ... but at least I know we won't be sleeping in the streets. I'll keep looking, and lemme know what you come up with. In the meantime, "we left the light on for you" (or whatever the ads say).

Kristen 2:57 PM: Okay, I upgraded us to the Red Roof Inn - still only like $8.52, and 1.5 mi from the hotness of Beale St. and the Peabody (which for some reason, I've defined as the nexus of Memphis). Think I'll cancel the Motel 6er.

Linda 3:00 PM: Oh Cosby rolls deep. That explains it. PS I blogged about your trundle bed the other day. It's buried within the Berenstain Bears post.

Kristen 3:03 PM: To get you extra excited, a review by "Tim" on February 18, 2007: "Was awakened through the night from loud drunkin guest 12:30 am and 4:30am. went to lobby at 7:45, coffee was all over counter ... tops. cereal the only thing avaliable was all over counter and floor. it was unpleasing! two young men with rags and caps on behind desk watched as i tried to find something for two cups of coffee. so i asked from across the lobby do you have lids for coffee. his reply was, has he leans up against the wall naw we aint got nunthere was a young lady behind desk helping customers is the only thing that made me think the place wasn't being robbed."

Linda 3:06 PM: It was unpleasing.

Linda 3:12 PM: Oh and also, this is tonight's blog post.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the trundle shout out. I am looking forward very much to "counter ... tops" ...

Anonymous said...

ladies...please don't do it! i made the mistake of rolling into memphis with a uhaul, sans reservation and had to go to an easy 8 or something with a number that was like "1.5 miles to the heart of memphis". tommy and i were starved and got some late night t-bell. i ate my cold bean burrito standing and pouting in our "nonsmoking" smoke filled room and contemplated sleep. the furniture was filthy and stained with truck stop love. its the peabody or nothing i'm afraid. apparently there is no comfortable middle ground there. you'd be better wandering the street eating bbq all night.

Magdalena said...

Am I mistaken, or was Salem the Red Roof Inn the place where all the parents stayed when they came for Parents' Weekend? I'm not sure because my parents don't love me and didn't show up until graduation. Also, there was a "fancy" restaurant where everyone went for dinner?

You know, it's possible I'm confusing my college years with Tom Wolfe's "I am Charlotte Simmons".

Anonymous said...

There's always West Memphis. Nothing bad ever happens there.

Inga said...

Magdalena: Haha yes. The nice restaurant was DaVinci's? Another game burst on the scene near the end, it was new American and actually good and started with a "J". Aaaand now I can only think about Country Clubber's parents thank you for ruining my Friday afternoon.

Magdalena said...

Nothing beat Ming's. Moon's? That awesome Chinese restaurant with the 12-foot Buddha and Vegas-style booths. (See also: Magda Mongolian Beef)

I am now awash in the memories of Salem's fine dining options. That bento box place that everyone went but which I found disgusting. The Thai place "downtown" where I ate tofu because I was in my soon-to-be-aborted vegetarian phase. And the fucking RAM for $2 Tuesdays. And everyone's 21st birthday.

Magdalena said...

Kwan's!

http://www.kwanscuisine.com/