My friend Susie had a large plastic version of that tree in which all the Berenstain Bears lived. One day we were playing all Swiss Family Robinson-style in her garage and then she bit me? I'm pretty sure she bit me. My mom picked me up shortly thereafter.

My friend Cari and I read tons of Berenstain Bears and Richard Scarry books. We especially liked Richard Scarry because each page contained that little hidden bug or spider. To preschool Linda that was pretty much the coolest thing ever.

Cari's house was also the site of my first attempted sleepover. I say "attempted" because she and her older brother told me some story about vampires and showed me teeth he had in his room. In retrospect, I think it was a plaster mold of human teeth, probably for his orthdonics. Whatever. It freaked me the fuck out. I had to get outta there. If memory serves, I told Cari's mom and I needed my mom to bring over the blankie I'd left at home. I planned to stowaway in my mom's trunk when she delivered the blankie, thereby avoiding any nights with vampires. Despite my foolproof plan, Cari's mom realized I was scared and wanted to go home. My mom picked me up shortly thereafter.
Kristen I think you were my first successful sleepover? A little trundle bed action on Primrose Drive? Miss Vicki put books out for me to read if I woke up before you, and I believe one was a Scarry. My mom didn't pick me up that night, yo, that's fo shizzle.
[FN1] I thought it was Berenstein. Guess they're goyim.
2 comments:
I too love the Richard Scarry books. My childhood favorites, but not to be confused with the Berenstain Bears. I think they came a bit later. I enjoy the scarry Big Book of Words with the page about clothing words. The cats are stripped down to their skivvies with words next to them like socks and underpants. I got a kick out of that.
Necessito un libro de Richard Scarry en espanol.
Post a Comment