Sunday, April 29, 2007

Quotes

I realize the blog is becoming me quoting other people and/or articles. Parroting might be my medium.

Yesterday at a party my co-worker started off a sentence with: "So I was feeding my cat roast beef...."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me take this opportunity to fit in a little cat talk here.

Our youngest, Rupee, goes absolutely bonkers for mint toothpaste breath. I don't remember when she got her first whiff, but now when she sees me brushing my teeth in the bathroom, so strong is her craving for the mint she will jump up my back to get to my shoulders (which actually causes me a great deal of pain), where she perches and butts her face into my business, all trying to glean from my mouth her sweet fix of mint-smell.

We've begun to call it "mint mouth" as in "time for Rupee to get her mint mouth." She loves it. After she gets high on her beloved mint mouth, she exhibits all the classic behavior involved with a cat intoxicated on catnip -- rolling around with dilated pupils, running around the house, making weird chirpy noises etc. I guess it's because catnip is related to the mint family or something, so there are chemicals in toothpaste that when sniffed will stimulate her brain in the same places catnip would.

Anyway but I guess there's a big difference between catnip, articifial mint, and real mint chemicals, cause today I was cookin' up some grilled chicken pita sandwiches with a yogurt-mint sauce, and I was pullin mint leaves off the stem to be chopped up. Like I do with a lot of discarded materials from my kitchen, I immediately threw it at Rupee without a thought. It didn't take long before she reacted to the pungent mint stem aroma with her typical facial reaction: eyes all squinty and watery, head all cocked back, lookin like she's about to sneeze.

Except with the real mint it was different. She backed off and retreated. She was scared or something, couldn't handle the pure shit. Melissa picked it up and kinda poked at her a little bit with it and let me tell you, Rupee wanted nothing at all to do with actual mint. Just not interested one bit.

So, that was something that happened that is sorta related to what you said.

Anonymous said...

I had to shut my office door to read this because I couldn't keep a straight face.

Have you seen that "cat playing piano" video? It's all the rage lately.

Anonymous said...

Linda, never worry about what form your posts are taking. Even the Platonic Ideal of the Worst Possible Blog Post (Johnny D.'s "Headlights") [from "Top Five Worst Jo-tel Posts" http://jo-tel.editme.com/oct06] is still infinitely better than no post at all. Basically, the worst thing that can happen to a blog is dead air. As long as you continue posting, eventually something funny will happen. Especially if you have good friends, because then when your posts start sucking, rather than just stop reading your blog, your friends will read your blog and then give you shit for having such bad posts. Which can eventually spark a contrarian to attempt to prove them wrong with a spat of good posts. Circle of Life. Everybody Poops. In the words of the late Katon Rouge, "I'll tell you what I told Leonardo when we were freebasing coke off the stove.." If all you've got is a random cat quote, then you've got a blog post. And thank you Karl for proving me right.

Anonymous said...

"As long as you continue posting, eventually something funny will happen."

Hip E. The funny is already happening.

Anonymous said...

The piano playing maestro is nick-named Mewzart.

Anonymous said...

sometimes i like to make oscar smell things - just to see how he would react. things he loves to smell? banana, cinnamon..LOVES THEM...

no not really

cat posting reminded me to look at mycatehatesyou and stuffonmycat. i submited a picture of oscar with a beer cozy on his head. i hope he makes it. he needs the confidence boost.

Anonymous said...

What's up Annie! How's Portland treating you? Do you ever go to shows at Dante's or Berbati's Pan? It seems like a lot of bands that turn out to be sick play at those places early on. Such as Joanna Newsom and The Thermals.

Erodstrom said...

Like Karl's substance abusing cat, our cat used to get high off celery leaves. Not the stalks, but the leaves, oh those leaves...

Anonymous said...

hey hip e. portland is great! we love it! i'm excited for summer and camping and barbecues and bike riding. but i have to admit, being so close to the mountains for snowboarding is pretty dang nice.
we went to one show at dantes (but it got pretty smokey so we left) and saw sebadoh at berbatis...definitely A LOT of good bands here - two you should check out - Shakey Hands (just won best new band) and the Grails

Turd Ferguson said...

Don't worry. I've been reduced to putting up .gif files every other post.