Sunday, April 29, 2007

Shine Sweet Freedom

Kristen, Andrea, Kendra and I stumbled upon Michael McDonald as an inside joke during the holidays of 2005. We spent a really long time trying to identify Sweet Freedom by saying "Aaack! What's that song?!? Who sings that!?" We thought it was Kenny Loggins for a long time until we pinned The Doobie Brothers and realized it was Michael McDonald. We also realized I have an amazing knack for singing "we'll keep the spirit a-li-i-ive!, on and o-o-on," but I digress.

Since then I've seen many Michael McDonald references. In "40 Year Old Virgin," Paul Rudd's character was nearly driven to "Ya Mo Burn this place to the ground," because the Best Buy-type store constantly loops a Michael McDonald concert on its many televisions. Then I saw a VH1 I Love the 70's thing referencing Michael McDonald. At one point Karl joked "I'll be there. You could also say Ya Mo B There." Most recently, an episode of "30 Rock" had Tracy Morgan's character wanting to record Michael McDonald cover album. (To deliver the news that he didn't get copyright permission, the intern hums "What a Fool Believes" and says "Oh Tracy, you can't use any of my songs.")

One could argue Mikey McD is the best go-to funny musical act of recent history, possibly overtaking Phil Collins or even Barry Manilow. Here's some fun Wikipedia info:
  • Michael McDonald is an American R&B/soul singer (sometimes described as a "blue-eyed soul" singer), known for his tall, physically attractive figure and his trademark husky baritone voice.
  • He first gained wide attention as an adjunct member of the group Steely Dan.
  • "I Keep Forgettin'," a duet with his sister Maureen, was later sampled by Warren G and Nate Dogg in the hugely popular "Regulate."
  • He also sang "Eyes of a Child" (written by Trey Parker), the ending credits song satirizing his career and songs, for the 1999 animated film South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut.
  • Beginning in 2005, an Internet-based comedy series of video shorts called "Yacht Rock" has fictionalized the smooth songwriting exploits of McDonald and frequent collaborator Kenny Loggins.

No comments: