Thursday, August 30, 2007

Mom's Corner

Part I - Mom & Linda

Mom: 30 years ago this week your dad proposed to me while on vacation. A few days later driving on Minneapolis freeways, we heard on the radio that Elvis had died.

Linda: And then in most of the pictures from your honeymoon you are wearing a pink Elvis baby tee looking really grumpy (and sporting a perm).

Mom: I wasn't "grumpy" in the photos, I was just sad, it was a deceased Elvis t-shirt. How could I be grumpy on a honeymoon with a sweet brand new husband I barely knew??


[Eds Note: Linda's parents knew each other for 2 weeks in person, 2 months total, still married, still find Monster's Ball totally hot.]

Part II - Mom

I refrained from calling you to announce the thunderstorm we just had!!! I called Brother instead since I was SO EXCITED, but he didn't answer. At least it felt good to tell somebody about the rain!!! Maggie repeatedly ran outside to see the thunder and then watch the raindrops land on the chaise lounge chair or patio floor while her little ole head would bob from one side to the other...so doggone cute!!! Unfortunately, the rain in our area lasted a whopping 30 minutes and it was only light rain. Good enough to get excited about however :)

Love, your rain refreshed momma


Part III - Dad

When we fished in lakes in the Sierra, normally we would put the fish on a stringer, running it from one gill through their mouth. They would lay there alive in the cold water for a couple of hours and slowly die. If they weren't dead by the time we cleaned them, then that operation would do it quickly. Running a knife along their belly from their butt hole to their head and then ripping their guts out would usually finish them off. I always cut the heads off too, but many people leave them on when they cook and serve them. If you are going to catch and release fish (which is state law at many of the lakes and streams in the Sierra), then you should always use hooks without barbs so that the fish are not injured too badly.

2 comments:

........................................ said...

your brother has a golden "mom's corner" thing to give you.

Magdalena said...

There are no words.