At Golden Gate Fields yesterday, one of the hot topics was "Do female horses race? Do they get periods? If so what happens?" With my powers of internet research I found an informative Q&A:
Question: My mare has been in heat the past week and it was brought to my attention that in the past few days some blood has been coming out her vagina. Its this common or something to worry about?
Answer: Most mares do bleed a little bit during their heat cycles. It usually goes unnoticed due to fur color and such. I am guessing you have a very light colored horse, or her vaginal area is very light with pink skin. You can definately notice blood on my cremello mare when she comes into season. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if she continues to bleed past her cycle, or seems to be bleeding in excess then I would call the vet out to double check. Also, if she will let you, wash her up back there every other day or so with a warm rag. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have other questions or concerns, and I will do the best I can to address them.
Monday, June 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I heard that when they "whinny" that indicates a particularly heavy flow.
Post a Comment