My small liberal arts college in Oregon was smaller and much whiter than my high school in California. I didn't like that. Then, because people were more interested in earnest volunteer work than snarky sarcasm and talking about Waiting for Guffman, I got real uppity-like and spent freshman year considering many of them bland and mediocre.
That passed, but sometimes I jump back on my uppity bandwagon. My dad didn't help last week by telling me he received a resume from a guy who'd majored in Politics (my major) at University (my college), and then, in order to secure gainful employment, he - get this! - spent a few years at a community college. Oh that's rich!
Dad: I guess people do different things with their Politics degrees from University. I found it interesting that Mr. X immediately went to graduate school at Community College and studied surveying. Just think, if he had spent another year at Community College instead of wasting four years at University, he could have had an Associate in Science degree in land surveying. He could have gone on to become a licensed professional land surveyor instead of kicking around during his career as a survey party chief. I'm so proud of you for having overcome your useless, deficient education at University. Law School helped your career, but perhaps you should return to higher education and look in to another degree. Perhaps Grossmont Community College? Have a great weekend.
Linda: Ha! Can I blog this?
Dad: I don't mind. But you might hurt Mr. X's feelings. Aren't liberals from liberal arts universities always very concerned about offending people? But it's probably OK, he's just a white male, so it doesn't really matter. (Ba dum dum. Dad'll be here all week. Try the veal).
2 comments:
Aren't liberals from liberal arts universities always very concerned about offending people? But it's probably OK, he's just a white male, so it doesn't really matter.
oh no he di'int!
You thought I was bland and mediocre? How rude!
Post a Comment