Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Handy

I love the word "handy." It applies to a man that fixes leaky faucets and knows when and where and why to use a washer. It has a nice retro feel, like he mows the lawn and smells of soap and is considered by his neighbors to be a family man. Yum. I would bake that man an apple pie.

Why then, when my co-worker hints that her brother lives near me and is "handy," do I keep picturing Schneider from One Day at a Time?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only are you an 80's aficionado but you rock the 70's as well.

RB said...

I've more often heard it used in this context, "I'll give you my finance notes in exchange for a handy."

Turd Ferguson said...

I thought a handy is what happens when a girl doesn't want to have sex with a boy but feels sorry for him.

(You would know Turd!) (zing block)