(1) My brother's childhood bedroom had several framed clown faces. Most were illustrations and I think that's just how my parents decorated his room (versus it being something he liked). They were serious-faced and I remember them with a mix of interest and distrust.

(2) Pennywise. In junior high my friends Erin and Alli and I spent many evenings watching It and eating shephard's pie. It was just what we did for a few months.

(3) What's the worst thing about having sex with children? Getting blood on your clownsuit.

(4) Diane Keaton collects clown paintings and put out the simply titled book Clown Paintings. It contains many paintings alongside quotes from comedians (most of whom, not surprisingly, hate clowns).

(5) I love the Saw movies. My friend Katie just went to her high school reunion in Kansas and hung out with the writer/director. I now have a cocktail napkin that says "Linda - Stay sick & twisted. Darren Bousman."

(6) Capturing the Friedmans is a great documentary following a high school computer science teacher caught in a child pornography sting and then charged with molesting many of his students. He eventually pled guilty to sodomy and sexual abuse, as did his youngest son, but the documentary is fascinating because it consists of family home videos and one never really knows whether such abuse actually occurred. Interestingly, the filmmaker got the idea for the documentary when he was interviewing entertainers on the Manhattan child's party circuit. The most successful clown seemed to have a hidden sadness, and upon further digging, the filmmaker discovered his father was Mr. Friedman.

(7) Serial killer John Wayne Gacy, who raped and murdered 33 boys and young men (29 of whom he buried under his house) is known as the "Killer Clown" because of the many block parties he threw for his friends and neighbors, entertaining children in a clown suit and makeup under the name of "Pogo the Clown."
(8) Jack Perry (Zig of the popular Australian clown duo, Zig and Zag) raped his own grandaughter and pled guilty in 1994. 
6 comments:
I should have skipped this one.
I think this is the best post you have done so far. Awesome.
So it this were a documentary, your spin of the evidence would be of the general psychotic nature or tendancies of clowns?
WHAT ABOUT RONALD MCDONALD!! HUH!! Now that's a clown that has accomplished great things.... He has houses all over the place that house family's for free near hospitals while their children get treatment for serious or terminal diseases. And he has contributed greatly to the growing child obesity issue in the U.S. Oh, that last one might not be so great....
Linda, you've outdone yourself yet again.. Not only is the subject matter dear to my heart (I hate clowns), but you build your point quite brilliantly. Have you ever consider a career in law?
thanks for the bit of cheer on this monday a.m.
Post a Comment