Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Way I See It

I got some Starbucks recently [FN1], and the cup said:

# 275 When I wake up in the morning, I want to know that my family, friends and fans know what I believe in and what I'm all about. That's what should be important. -- Robert Randolph (Musician. His songs can be heard on Starbucks Hear Music TM station, XM Satellite Radio Channel 75.)

I love that this dude is talking about his art and its authenticity on a Starbucks cup near a promotion for Starbucks XM. Has he no self-consciousness? And he's not alone! There are a few more entertaining musicians talking about their art on paper cups that yuppies will purchase from the chain coffee shop and throw in the trash without reading. Examples:

#260 Playing in an independent rock band will eventually make you equal parts truck driver, gladiator and mule. Glamour is for those with trust funds. -- Neko Case (Musician. Her songs can be heard on Starbucks Hear Music™ station, XM Satellite Radio Channel 75.)


# 268 Music is what I always turn to when I’m feeling a certain way. It’s my reason for everything. -- Josh Groban (Musician. His songs can be heard on Starbucks Hear Music™ station, XM Satellite Radio Channel 75.)

# 281 I’ve never bought the “lowest common denominator” image of popular art. Too many artists worry that popularity is the same as being “middle of the road.” I’m much more into the idea that the middle is the highest point. On a map, the center of a mountain is its peak. You need to climb very high to get there. -- Dan Wilson (Musician. His songs can be heard on Starbucks Hear Music™ station, XM Satellite Radio Channel 75.)



[FN1] Do you say "a coffee" or "coffee"? It feels weird to me to say "let's get a coffee."

7 comments:

Hip E. said...

Neko Case is a chick. She is also amazing; I think you would like her stuff.

Inga said...

I know who Neko Case is! That's what made the Starbucks part so entertaining.

I mistakenly cut and pasted the "Starbucks XM" part for all of them but it's fixed now. Byeeee.

Magdalena said...

Eh, it's so hard for new music to be heard: there's so much of it being flung all over the internet and can so easily be lost in the shuffle. I'm not sure I can blame anyone for taking Starbucks money and allowing them to paste something trite onto the cups so that people at least hear their name. Holding onto some antiquated notion of integrity just means no one will ever hear your work in today's market.

Anonymous said...

I don't think they get money, it seems maybe they just submit these things. A lot of quotes are just from regular people.

But Neko Case? To quote Wikipedia: "She is protective of her artistic independence, combining punk's 'do it yourself ethic,' a strong business sense, and clear opinions about her artistic goals. She has spurned offers from major record labels because they don't offer her enough control of her music."

Hip E. said...

I don't think Starbucks is trying to control Neko Case's music.

Anonymous said...

Also annoying: When people say "a" wine instead "a glass of" wine or "some" wine. I'll have a wine? Gross.

RB said...

I refuse to buy anything from Starbucks, ever. I think Starbucks is gross.