Sunday, July 22, 2007

Confusing Rant Triggered by High School Reunion and Overanalytical Nature

I went to my high school reunion last weekend. It triggered feelings of frustration I get periodically. Sometimes it's directed at Americans generally, sometimes at religious family members specifically. Always it results in me wanting to shake people and make them read, think, and learn.

The feeling is difficult to articulate but this time it was directed at a large group of girls I hung out with in junior high that now depress the holy hell out of me. They appear to have dumb husbands, work boring jobs (if at all), and devote a lot of energy to being thin and attractive. They're in Southern California, mind you. Their favorite hobbies are tract home decoration, chardonnay, and monthly girls' lunches at chain restaurants. They drive huge SUVs. No banter, no intelligence, no cleverness, no curiosity about the world, no desire to work in it and change it.

My frustration always comes with the desire to prove something. These women make me mad, nay, infuriated. This time around it has me in a tizzy of conflicting thoughts. Does feeling upset by other women mean I am as immature and insecure as I was in high school? Why does it bother me so much? How fucking arrogant am I to think I'm better than them? Where is the line between respecting women's choices and analyzing whether those choices are good for social progress?

Is utilitarianism applicable here? I would posit if they're all happy and content, there's no problem. But it's not that easy! How do we determine happiness? Even if they report happiness, how much of that is false consciousness or satisfaction of socially constructed desires? Can a person really be content with a certain life when the person never realized there were other lives that could be lived? Why am I am suddenly now about to quote John Stuart Mill and say "it is better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied"?

But then again don't studies show that women balancing stimulating yet demanding jobs with husbands and kids are more stressed or depressed than women that don't work or have less demanding jobs? Is that because even as women work outside the home they still do most of the work and coordination within it? If not, and it's just the job, aren't the statistics skewed by the fact that the women educated enough to realize social problems and vocalize their frustration are the ones with the more demanding jobs?

Speaking of working moms, I don't buy the whole "women at home is better for kids" thing. This stems from the 1950's, right? But women back then were not sitting around reading Dr. Seuss to their kids and pushing them on the swings. No. They were constantly cooking and cleaning and sewing. They also had so many kids that there was a lack of quality one-on-one time.

Why is the chick the default stay-at-homer? Having women as equal participants in the workforce benefits society. Beyond the obvious reason of tapping vast resources of unused brainpower and emotional intelligence, it benefits men because they don't have the sole breadwinning pressure and they won't die of heart attacks at 50 and they can work less and be greater participants in their families.

And back to kids again, magazine articles say my reproductive years may end sooner than I thought. What am I supposed to do with that fact? I'm so jealous men don't have that limit. Should I be jealous though? If men procreate later that just means they have to be older parents, and since the parenting is the hardest part is that really such an awesome gift? Maybe not.

How much do I care about having biological children anyway? I guess if I don't want kids until I'm 40, and I can't have them then, I'll just adopt. That's probably better for the world anyway. Population increase and environmentalism and all that. But how much would I miss the actual physical connection to a baby, like pregnancy and breastfeeding and stuff? Also how small, exactly, are these babies one procures through adoption? Are we talkin' a few weeks or a few months? What do those ages even mean in developmental terms? If I planned an adoption with a pregnant lady can I get the baby nice and early so it's still little and super-bondable?

Also WHY DID THIS TURN FROM RANTING ABOUT MY HIGH SCHOOL COLLEAGUES INTO MY CONCERNS ABOUT BONDING WITH MY BABY AND IS THIS MY SUBCONSCIOUS WANTING A BABY AND IF SO OH MY GOD, WHAT?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just happy to see John Stuart Mill again...

Andrew said...

I should have come out... anything that stimulates such thought and reflection must have been worth it.

RB said...

A) The belief that men can father children forever with no consequences is not entirely true.

Check it out:

http://pregnancyandbaby.com/pregnancy/baby/The-Down-side-of-dad-getting-older-1022.htm

There are also studies linking male aging to drastically increased chances of offspring developing schizophenia, and off course male infertility.

I'm really not sure why no one every talks about this, as it totally makes sense. It doesn't make sense that the male reproductive system wouldn't also weaken as a man ages.

RB said...

B) You can love and feel a very close bond to a child regardless of when you come into each other's lives. Sure, it might be different than a genetic bond, but there seem to be plenty of genetic parents around who don't feel a tight bond, so maybe that's not the most important thing anyway.

Anonymous said...

All this talk about babies is making me hot! Where do I sign up?!

Anonymous said...

I think this mindset reflects your school's close proximity to the east county. I always tell Gina you were a stone's throw from being a horse girl with a No Fear wearing b-friend. Be glad you escaped.

Inga said...

Oh I totally dated guys in No Fear shirts. Emerald Junior High Class of 1993 baby!

Magdalena said...

I was crazy in love with someone who had an extensive Hypercolor shirt collection.

Anonymous said...

Hypercolor! Where can I get some of that?

Inga said...

The year 1990.

Unknown said...

Hilarious rant - thanks! BTW you can always bond with a kid - biologists say we are hard-wired to bond to wee ones... which is applicable for any age sprog - that said, if it ever becomes relevant for you, know that you can adopt a complete newborn (be present in the birthing room, hold the child when a few minutes old.) Good luck with biological clocks and avoiding vacuous ex-schoolmates.